The Stony Brook Seawolves (16-4) trounced the Maine Black Bears (6-13) 81-54 three days after their wild win against Albany, increasing their remarkable winning streak to 12.

SBU was able to get this win without its starting forward Bryan Sekunda, who twisted his ankle during practice. Lucas Woodhouse got his first career start to fill in for Sekunda and led the team in assists with seven, matching the Bears team total. He was one of four players in double-figures for SBU. Woodhouse led the game in passing and SBU center Jameel Warney recorded two assists at 1:12 into the first half.

After putting up 20 points last game against Albany, SBU’s Carson Puriefoy led the game in scoring once again with 23 points on 6-11 shooting and 5-8 shooting from deep. He also contributed 5 rebounds in 33 minutes.

“I always try to be aggressive,” Puriefoy said. “There was a lot of open opportunities and my teammates did a great job of getting me open shots. As a team, we are all locked in.”

Rayshaun McGrew was able to notch double figures once again and scored 14 points with seven rebounds and two assists. Woodhouse and Warney both had 12 points and only missed one out of five shots in 34 minutes on the floor. Warney put up his 52nd career double-double and had quite a passing display for SBU while finishing second in assists with five. He also finished with 12 points along with 12 rebounds and recorded 3 stifling blocks in 30 minutes on the floor.

“It’s great to have a lot of talented guys around me,” Warney said. “We didn’t want it to be a pick up game. We wanted to play our style of pace.”

Maine had one player in double-figures which was freshman forward Devine Eke who had 11 points, 3 rebounds, 2 blocks and 2 assists. They only had seven assists all game and turned the ball over 12 times. The second leading scorer for Maine was senior forward Till Gloger who came off the bench when starting freshman forward IIija Stojiljkovic got into foul trouble early in the first half. He eventually fouled out later in the game and finished with three points. Gloger only played 12 minutes but contributed eight points, four rebounds and a steal. Maine was shut down offensively, ending up shooting only 33.3 percent from the field and 27.8 percent from three point range.

Stony Brook on the other hand shot ball at an exceptional percentage. They went 31-51 from the field, which is over 60 percent, and made 10 three pointers in 14 tries for an astonishing 71.4 percent. Not phased by being turnover savvy and losing the ball 18 times, they still managed to rout Maine with their passing, putting up 22 team assists and rebounding almost double of what Maine recorded. SBU easily won that advantage 41-22.

Maine led the game in blocks with seven, team turnovers with 12, and bench points with 25.

SBU Head Coach Steve Pikiell was very happy on how his team played from start to finish. “It was a different kind of game today,” Pikiell said. “I thought these guys did a great job getting off to a good start. I liked how our mindset was and I thought with one day to prepare, we did a really good job.”

Stony Brook travels up to Vermont (12-9) for its first meeting of conference play on Saturday, January 30, at 2 p.m.


Comments are closed.