Coming off their exciting homecoming win against Colgate, the Stony Brook Seawolves traveled to West Point, NY to take on the Army Black Knights.  The Seawolves were seeking their first win in five all-time matchups against Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) programs.
Army started the game on offense but went three and out.  On the ensuing drive, Stony Brook picked up two first downs before senior running back Miguel Maysonet broke a 49-yard touchdown run to give the Seawolves a 7-0 lead less than five minutes into the game.

On the next drive, the Black Knights were marching when running back Larry Dixon lost a fumble at the Stony Brook 31 yard-line.  However, this turnover was quickly forgotten when Stony Brook quarterback Kyle Essington himself fumbled at his own 49 yard line. Off this miscue, Army drove to the Seawolf 4 yard-line where they faced and 4th and 1.  Army decided to gamble and went for the first down.  In what would become a theme on this day, the Seawolves’ defense stood tall, stopping quarterback Trent Steelman for no-gain on a running play.

Off this big defensive stand, the Stony Brook offense drove from their own 4 yard-line to the Army 10 yard-line.  There, kicker Wesley Skiffington lined up to attempt a 27 yard field goal.  The kick was tipped and hit the left upright, but it still went through to put the Seawolves up 10-0 early in the second quarter.

On its next drive Army fumbled again, this time on a botched option play.  However, Stony Brook failed to capitalize, and they were forced to punt.  Army then drove all the way to the Seawolves’ 7 yard-line.  There, disaster struck the Black Knights again, as Steelman fumbled for the second time.  Stony Brook’s Dan Mulrooney recovered the ball at the 10 yard-line.

Essington connected with senior wide receiver Kevin Norrell on two long passes for first downs as the Seawolves marched deep into Army territory.  Skiffington connected on a 44 yard field goal that snuck just inside the right upright as time expired in the first half.

The Seawolves began the second half with the football, and they drove all the way to the Army 1 yard-line.  There, Maysonet scored his second touchdown of the game on a one yard plunge to extend the Stony Brook lead to 20-0.  On this impressive drive, the Seawolves converted four third downs and killed the first 8:23 of the third quarter.

Army scored its only points of the game on the next drive, a 39 yard field goal by Dan Grochowski, to cut the Stony Brook lead to 17 points.  However, the Seawolves responded with a drive that culminated when Skiffington connected on his third field goal of the afternoon, a 25 yarder, to extend the lead back to twenty points, 23-3.

Army drove to the Stony Brook 6 yard-line on the ensuing drive.  However, the Seawolves defense made another big play, recovering Army’s fourth fumble to regain possession with 9:16 left in the game.

With a dominating 23-3 victory, the Seawolves not only improved to 4-1 on the season, but they also won their first game all-time against an FBS opponent.  Maysonet had another amazing game, rushing for a career high 220 yards.  Stony Brook will open its Big South schedule by hosting Charleston Southern at Lavalle Stadium next Saturday.

Write A Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.