By Andrew Carrieri

The  Stony Brook Seawolves hosted the Colgate University Raiders on Homecoming day hoping to avenge a 27-17 loss at Syracuse the weekend before. They gave the uproarious record setting crowd of 10,278 more than just a win—they also provided them with an exciting roller coaster ride of a game.

Colgate received the opening kickoff but went three and out. The ensuing punt was short, and Stony Brook received good field position at the 43-yard line. After running back Miguel Maysonet galloped for a couple of first downs, Marcus Coker scored the game’s first touchdown on a one yard plunge.

After the teams exchanged punts, Stony Brook drove to the Colgate 24-yard line. Though the drive stalled there, kicker Wesley Skiffington hit a 43-yard field goal to put the Seawolves up 10-0.

On their next drive early in the second quarter, the Seawolves scored another touchdown, a 34-yard strike from quarterback Kyle Essington to wide receiver Jordan Gush on a fourth and four play. This touchdown capped off a 76-yard drive and put the home team up 17-0.

Unfazed, Colgate responded with a bang to end the first half. A one-yard touchdown run by Jordan McCord cut the Stony Brook lead to 17-7 with less than five minutes remaining in the second quarter. Then, after Stony Brook turned the ball over at midfield following an unsuccessful fourth down gamble, Colgate scored their second touchdown on a 51-yard pass play from Raider quarterback Gavin McCarney to fullback Ed Pavalko. With 1:34 remaining until halftime, Colgate intercepted an Essington pass deep in Stony Brook territory. The drive was capped off with a five-yard touchdown run by McCarney. Colgate took this stunning 21-17 lead into halftime.

The Seawolves took the second half kickoff and drove to the Colgate 17-yard line. There, they elected against taking another fourth down gamble and settled for a 34-yard Skiffington field goal which cut their deficit to one point. Stony Brook then forced a Colgate punt and got the ball back with 9:46 left in the third quarter. On the ensuing drive, however, Essington disastrously fumbled while being sacked. Colgate’s Austin Dier picked up the loose ball and ran it back for a touchdown to extend the Raider lead to 28-20, its largest of the game.

Stony Brook responded early in the fourth quarter when Marcus Coker ran for his second touchdown of the game. After a failed two-point conversion attempt, the Seawolves continued to trail by two points, 28-26. Colgate responded with a drive that stalled at the Stony Brook 10-yard line. There, Andrew Burgess connected on a 27-yard field goal, and Colgate led 31-26.

Holding Colgate to a field goal proved important. On their ensuing drive, the Seawolves marched to the Raider one-yard line. On third and goal, Maysonet ran to the outside and snuck inside the pylon to give the Seawolves a 32-31 lead. However, the two point conversion attempt failed, and Colgate needed only a field goal to win.

This game would have a happy ending though. On a fourth and one play with under a minute remaining, the Stony Brook defense got the game-sealing stop, as McCord was stopped for no gain. The Seawolves won 32-31, much to the crowd’s approval.

Maysonet had a career high of 198 yards rushing, moving him up to third on the Big South’s all-time rushing list. Coker also had a standout game, scoring two of Stony Brook’s touchdowns and 68 yards rushing.

Their seventh straight homecoming victory brings the Seawolves to 3-1 on the season. Next week the Seawolves take on Army at Mitchie Stadium in West Point, N.Y.

Write A Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.