Students and staff evacuated the Union Building earlier tonight, February 1, around 5 p.m. after a burning ventilation motor activated a fire alarm.

All occupants were evacuated from the building for approximately 45 min while the building was cleared by the Stony Brook and Setauket Fire Departments. Several building occupants said they smelled something burning before they were evacuated.

After the building was reopened, Stony Brook Facilities and Services confirmed that the burning smell was caused by a malfunctioning ventilation motor located on the second floor of the union. The burning motor was shut down and the Union building is now considered safe.

[slideshow id=10]

(photos also by Jasmine Haefner)



Write A Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.