Coming off one of the most impressive wins in Stony Brook football history last week at Army, the team returned home Saturday night to open its Big South Conference schedule against the Buccaneers of Charleston Southern University. Stony Brook defeated the Buccaneers 50-31 last year in Charleston, South Carolina, and entered the day 3-1 against them since their rivalry began in 2008. With Stony Brook football moving to the Colonial Athletic Association next season, this would also be the last meeting between the schools as conference rivals.

Charleston Southern began the game on offense, but went three and out. In what would become a major theme in this game, the ensuing punt was short, and the Seawolves were given great field position at the 43-yard line. After driving to the Buccaneer 29-yard line, the home team scored the game’s first points, a touchdown pass from quarterback Kyle Essington to wide receiver Kevin Norrell.

Late in the first quarter, Charleston Southern had more punting problems. Punter Derek Hatcher dropped the snap and was forced to kick the ball on the run; it traveled only fifteen yards, and the Seawolves again had great field position, this time at the 41-yard line. Stony Brook drove to Charleston Southern’s 30-yard line. There, on the first play of the second quarter, Essington threw a strike to Norrell, who caught the ball at the 2-yard line while falling out of bounds. Running back Miguel Maysonet capped-off the drive with a one-yard touchdown run to put the Seawolves up 14-0.
Charleston Southern scored its only points of the game on the ensuing drive, a 28-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Malcolm Dixon to receiver Will Hunt. This score cut the Stony Brook lead to 14-7 with 9:42 remaining in the first half.

Unfortunately for the visitors, the Seawolves regained momentum on the next play from a scrimmage. With Stony Brook at its own 26-yard line, Essington found Norrell, who made a stumbling catch at the Charleston Southern 32-yard line. The Seawolves proceeded to drive all the way to the 1-yard line. There, on third and goal, Essington rolled to his right and connected with wide receiver Jordan Gush for a touchdown pass which put Stony Brook up by fourteen points, 21-7.

The Buccaneers responded by driving to the Stony Brook 24-yard line. However, kicker Mark Deboy missed a 41-yard field goal attempt, and the Seawolves regained possession. They again marched into the Red Zone, where Norrell caught an 8-yard touchdown pass from Essington in the back left corner of the north endzone. With this score, Stony Brook took a commanding 28-7 lead into halftime.

On the first play of the second half, Maysonet galloped for a 28-yard gain, the run that has made him Stony Brook’s all-time leading rusher. The star back would make more history early in the fourth quarter when he also became the leading rusher in Big South history, surpassing former Liberty University back Rashad Jennings.

In the end, Stony Brook cruised to a 49-7 victory and improved to 5-1 on the season. Aside from Maysonet’s achievements, Norrell and Gush also had excellent games. Norrell finished the game with 214 receiving yards and two touchdowns; Gush scored three touchdowns.

The Seawolves will now travel to Conway, South Carolina, where they will continue their Big South schedule against Coastal Carolina Saturday, Oct. 13.

Write A Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.