Everyone wants to be in better shape — that must include you, because you’re reading this blog. Want to impress a girl (or a guy)? Do better in school? Feel better about yourself? Run from the cops? Everyone can find a reason to get in shape, but everyone also seems to find an excuse to get out of shape. You’re tired, your leg hurts, you have to check twitter, or you have a lab report due in a month.
Today is the day to forget those excuses and become a better you. Here are some simple tips to jump-start a healthy diet and lifestyle:
- Cut out the caloric beverages — Avoid sugar and water with artificial flavors and sweeteners. This includes fruit juice! Drink unsweetened tea, water or coffee instead.
- Eat lots of vegetables — This should go without saying. Large quantities of micronutrients and low caloric content make this choice a great one.
- Get lots of protein — Meat, poultry and protein powders are preferable. Most Americans ingest far too little protein and the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) of 60 grams is woefully inadequate.
- Get plenty of sleep — Downtime is important, and sleep is the ultimate downtime.
- Move — Do something, do anything! Just get moving. We’ll get into specifics later this week. In the meantime, just break a sweat.
I hope you’ll join me on this journey to get stronger, faster and better.